DOCUMENTARY:: C/O 2001: Vote Black & White




As a filmmaker, I find it my duty to document a huge school tradition I experienced growing up in Northeast Mississippi in the fairly large town of Columbus.  I have been mulling over the thought for years.  Serving a total of 10 years and two branches in the military, I found myself having to explain why what we were doing wasn't racist, but fair.  As time went on, I questioned that process more and more.  I realized, it wasn't fair.

I, along with my peers of 200+ strong, were forced into voting for a black candidate and a white candidate only for several elections including our Homecoming court and Beauty Pageants.  Mind you, I graduated in the year 2001.



Many graduates prior to our class and after were subjected to the same criteria, although other nationalities and races attended the school.  They were just tossed into one of the two categories.  I don't actually know who was the deciding official to determine a person of Chinese decent should be tossed into the "white girl" options that they would scribble on the board as we sat in homeroom eager to cast our vote.  I want to find out who made that decision and frankly I have questions I'd like to ask a slew of people.

I'm in the process of contacting as many classmates, administrators, city councilman/women, and any others willing to discuss their experience or role in that process.  My Co-Producer, Christopher Burr, is a fellow classmate that has been instrumental in helping me get the word out also feels strongly about this subject.  We deeply feel we all have been affected, in some form or fashion, by the programming of having to only vote the best black or white person during our adolescence.  The world doesn't work that way and I found that out quickly and embarrassingly.

I've been fortunate enough to make contact with some classmates and it's been an amazing ride already hearing how everyone felt then and feel today about it.  Some of us left the great state of Mississippi and expanded our horizons on what the world has to offer.  Others stuck around and dug roots of their own.

Over the coming months, I'll be raising money to fund my trip not only back home to Columbus, but other states such as Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Washington, D.C. and Texas.  That's all I got so far!  I'm gaining more road each day, as another classmate reaches out to hear about this documentary and how they can be involved.

If you are a fellow classmate of mine who is in contact with anyone on the following list OR you are interested in being interviewed for this project, please either call 214.881.1932 (my assistant, Jessica) to schedule a phone brief with me to hear more details OR email rockvioletmotion@gmail.com with your contact info (phone/email/mailing address):


Crystal Hughes
Scott Colom
Meshay Anthony
Joseph Bragg
Rodney Johnson
Marcus West
Justin Davis
Tobias Brown
Donterrio Erby
Kevin Simon
Monique Turner
Buster Leach
Kyle Crawford
Kristy Watkins
Beauynkko Morris
Dettrick Henry
Shanna Wilkins
Nick Gordon
Cassie Sprouse
Reginald Cross
Lindsey Neyman
Adam Garner
Shawn Qunn
Steven Humphries
Tim Adkins
Elizabeth Ford
Nedra Williams
Portia Carr
Erica Smith
Jamal Doughty
Rodgie Caraig
Andrew Culpepper
Soo-Bin Eun
Matthew Hogan
Liza Holland
Cori Gavin
Stephen Humphries
Donald Killian
Daniel Lafayette
Clinton Lester
Jonathan Lindsey
Jessica McAlpin
Melanie Noi
Nathan Meharg
Jessica Owens
Rachel Owens
Ludovica Pizzetti
Douglas Turner
Amber Vickers
Kendall Ward
Angela Ward

If you are interested in donating to our production in some form, we are accepting donations via our Google Wallet account.  Just send anything you would like to contribute to: phughes@rockvioletphoto.com

Thanks for taking the time to read about our latest project and I look forward to updating everyone with the progress we're making!

Paquita Hughes
Director/Producer
C/O 2001: Vote Black & White

Comments

Popular Posts